Friday, August 14, 2009

Strange World of Homeopathy

As a parent of a special needs child, I am often willing to go outside of my comfort zone to seek out possibilities that will help my child. With that in mind, I have explored homeopathy over the last month and what it might be able to do to help Isabella. For those of you unaware of what homeopathy is, here is a brief definition: Homeopathy is a system of medicine that uses highly diluted doses from the plant, mineral and animal kingdoms to stimulate natural defenses in the body. Homeopathic remedies are based on the theory that "like cures like," and uses remedies that cause symptoms of a certain illness in one who is healthy in order to stimulate the body's natural defenses to heal those same symptoms in one who is ill. Sounds strange, I know! A little like voodoo. I started to explore homeopathy after reading the great successes it claims for children with autism. I felt that if it could help Isabella with her memory or learning issues at all, it was worth checking out. We gave her a first dose the second week of July and I really did see an improvement in attention and focus. Her ability to remember experiences and repeat them back seems to have improved a little also. It is a work in progress and I have not had any complete "A ha" moments, but I have seen enough improvements to keep going. Also, in Europe homeopathy is quite common and most medical doctors practice homeopathy to help their patients rather than relying on only drugs. I will keep everyone updated on this!

No comments:

Post a Comment