Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Whoops again...

I was not sure whether to laugh or cry today during homeschool. Another one of those "mild hearing loss" moments occurred again with Bella. I am wondering if I will have alot of these moments now that she is getting older and since I am working with her so much in a teaching capacity. Anyway, we were talking about the sounds of ea and how sometimes ea makes a short "e" sound and other times it makes a long "e" sound in words. Then we went over a list of ea words. After each word we also discussed its meaning if I thought she might not know what it was. One of the words was "death". I asked her what death meant. She paused for a moment, then she said, "I think that's when you can't hear with your ears." I said, "No honey, that's deaF, this word is "deaTH." Then she just looked at me smiling and said, "Well Mom, I guess that is just one of those words that sounds different to me." So poignant for a 7 year old. I am really understanding how much context helps her on a daily basis. I never realized how many words have similar sounds and when your hearing is not perfect you really rely on the meaning of the sentence around words to help you know which word is being said.

No comments:

Post a Comment