Tuesday, October 20, 2009

New Kid(s) on the Block...



Growing up, I moved around a lot. By the time I was 10 I had moved six times. My father was in retail, what can I say? I became a "pro" at being the new kid at school. Smile, be outgoing, act like you already know the routine, and never let them see you sweat (especially when it came time for lunch and the all important decision of where to sit in the lunchroom the first day!) My kids have never been the "new kids", that is until this past Monday when Harry started his new school. I have to say, I was nervous all day for him. I thought about meeting new teachers, having kids point at you and say to each other "that's the new kid" and all the challenges you face your first day. Overall he was very excited. For him, there were so many different things to experience. He had never had a lunchroom, no experience in "switching classes" for subjects, no computer lab, and he had never really had homework. I must say the homework thing is going to take awhile for all of us to get used to. So far he has had about 1 1/2 hours per night. He has had a great time so far in school and being the new kid didn't seem to bother him at all.


Erick is also experiencing a little of the "new kid" phenomenon this week as he navigates his way through the middle eastern country of Dubai. As you can see from the picture above, it is very different than life here in the good old USA. He comes home tomorrow so I will share more details later.


No comments:

Post a Comment