Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Mama Said There'd Be Days Like This...

Realization of the week: I am not a fan of raising teenagers. I used to laugh when I heard parents say they just wanted to ship their teenagers off from age 13-18 and then meet up again at 19 or 20. Now I am just wanting to know the address of where they wanted to send their children. And next year I will have two teenagers in the house. I can tell you now, I am worried for my sanity. I'm not going to go into specifics on individual issues, just know that I called my Dad and apologized for any bad behavior during my teen years and I can only hope to receive a similar phone call 20-25 years from now...

Over the past week there has been a lot of events centering around "getting older" and "growing up." Last Friday, Harry had his well check at the pediatrician's office and it was made official that he is indeed taller than me. He has actually shot up to the 85th percentile in height and is now 5'2". The Dr. estimates that he will probably get to 6'0. I think it is kind of funny when people say things like, "It looks like you are taller than your Mom," and then give me an apologetic glance. I am more than happy that my kids will all be taller than me! I am 4'11 and have filled my closet with 3-4 inch heeled shoes in order to just blend in. When I married someone 6'0, it was not without giving some thought to the height of future generations.

Last Saturday, Bella celebrated her 9th birthday. On Friday, she went to get her hair and nails done with her cousin. After that, the fun continued and Grandma brought them out to dinner and guess what? They got their nails done again. One downfall to having your nails done when you are 9 is that it is very tempting to scratch the paint off if a chip happens. The pretty doesn't last very long. Bella and her cousin spent the night at Grandma's and her actual birthday became a little bit of a recovery day. Too much fun can be hard. I did explain to Bella that I was capping her at 9 years old and that I would not allow her to turn 10 next year. I mean, come on, she's my baby...10 years old is just too old.






So speaking of growing older, I am now in the single digit countdown before the big "40". I have to say, I am having more trouble with the idea as it grows closer. Our upcoming trip to Mexico makes it a little more bearable, but only a little. It looks like neither Bella or I will be celebrating birthdays after this year...

No comments:

Post a Comment