Thursday, February 10, 2011

40 is the New 18...

So it has happened. I am now 40 years old. I have spent the last few weeks prepping myself. I even filled out a survey and filled in the bubble marked 40-45 for age. I have to admit it feels weird. I can remember when I turned 18 and I was so happy to be a "real adult". But you know what? 40 is when you turn into a "real adult". No more excuses, no more childish mistakes. Before 40 you can make mistakes and those older will still say, "she's young and still learning." I don't think many people think of 40 as "young". Another thing I don't think you hear from people after 40, "you have your whole life ahead of you." Well maybe it can be changed to, "you have 1/2 your life ahead of you." You know, glass half full and all of that.

I have to say that getting my butt in gear and getting into shape over the past year has made today much better. In fact, last week I was setting up my stuff for a barbell strength class at the gym and I heard someone say to the instructor, "I want to look like her." I turned around and found out she was talking about me. It was really just what I needed to hear at that moment. I know looks can be fleeting (especially after 40), but I am really proud of myself right now. I am in the best shape I have ever been in. I did tell Erick that my upkeep costs are going to be going up exponentially over the next few years, just so he is prepared...

So onto tomorrow. Another thing I thought of today (and told my father); it is better to be 40 than have a child who is 40. Although that day will come soon enough, too...

No comments:

Post a Comment