Thursday, October 13, 2011

My Way...

I am not sure if this happens to other parents of special needs kids or not. Perhaps some. For me when standardized test results come in the mail, I get the same feeling as when I am at the top of a roller coaster hill about to head straight down at great speed. Yesterday, I went for a ride...

Last week I came across this quote by the great Albert Einstein.





I must say that it made me pause and question how I view Bella's accomplishments and success. There are so many things that she is great at. She is super crafty, outgoing, and always willing to try new things. Her ability, to make easily make new friends, is a gift that a lot of people envy. So many kids are judged harshly on areas that are never going to be strengths.

While I understand that standardized testing is necessary in schools, I think it is important to realize it is only a small piece of who a child is. Whether the scores are high or low, it should not define the child or their view of themselves.

Nor should it define the parent...

No comments:

Post a Comment