Monday, April 11, 2011

Just Another Day in Paradise...

I have to confess, I have developed a really bad habit. It all started a few years back when I watched the entire series of "Dawson's Creek" in about a 3 month time span. They had put it into re-reruns on tv a few years after it ended it's initial network run. It ran Monday-Friday, so I was able to quickly able to engross myself into the lives of Pacey, Dawson and Joey. Season ending cliffhangers were only 24 hours or on a really bad week, 3 days if one season ended on a Friday and I had to wait until Monday to find out what happened. The days of long, excruiciating waits to find out how your favorite characters would fix or further destroy their lives was over. It was terrific! That is until...it ended...for good.

Recently, I fell into this trap again, with the show, "Weeds". As many of you know, Netflix allows you to stream shows on your computer with no wait time. In no time at all, I was heavily invested in the troubles of Nancy and her crew. Today I finished, Season 6. Now it will be a long wait for Season 7, maybe a year.

As some of you have read, I recently went on vacation in Cancun. I have discovered that the ending of a vacation is very similar to the ending of a TV season/series. At first there is denial- when I wake up I will have the same beachfront view that I had. Next Sunday, I will find out if Nancy really goes to jail...




Then you begin to wonder if it was all a dream. Did I really get to swim with dolphins?

                                

 Did Joey really choose Pacey or will tomorrow's episode show she had fallen asleep?

Then comes the complete phrase of complete distraction. You are in a constant daydream. I remember the first time I saw the funny towel animal on my bed.
Or the awesome day I spent on Isla Mujeres, exploring the small island in a golf cart.


Throughout the day, I daydream that I am back in front of the infinity pool, laying in the sun with a good book.



Then I am rudely interrupted by the UPS man or some other mundane daily event that requires my attention. Oh, thinking about whether or not Nancy should have become involved with Esteban in the first place will have to wait until later...

Then it hits you. Reality. The trip is over. No new episodes are coming. It leaves you with a sense of emptiness and gloom. Yet you know the ride was worth it, you wouldn't take back a second. Losing Jen to cancer was just part of the journey. I am happy with every experience, good and bad.





Finally it ends with hope. There's no time like the present to plan that next great vacation. With a little time off, maybe Andy can sort out his issues and come back better next season. Who knows what the future will hold, but I am sure it will be worth the wait...














1 comment:

  1. We totally watched the entire set of series on Weed.

    they are supposed to have 1 more season...??? I left off where Nancy gives herself up to the FBI (assuming the baby goes to child services) and Andy takes off with the older kids.

    Love your vacation pictures! :)

    Sandi
    http://www.ahhsome.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete