Friday, May 7, 2010

Under My Umbrella (ella, ella, hey, hey)...

So as I write this, it is pouring down cold rain in 45 degrees. I was really hoping for rain because we just planted some flowers in the front last weekend. The bad news is that tonight, the weatherman is predicting snow with 1-2 inches of slushy accumulation. Looks like we will be buying some more flowers next weekend...


This week, I have been busy protecting the interests of Becca. As some of you who have been following me for a while know, Becca is headed to high school this coming fall. I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around that fact, but it is true, despite my denial. The big issue has been where to send her for high school. As of last year there are two high schools in our district, Chaska and Chanhassen. Becca has been at a Montessori charter school for the last 8 years and wanted to go to Chanhassen to be with her friends. Unfortunately, the district is being very strict and not letting kids who are in the Chaska High School boundaries open enroll to Chanhassen this year. Some of her friends at school are going to Minnetonka High School and Becca also knows girls from her lacrosse team that will attend Minnetonka so...it looks like it will be Minnetonka. So next year, the school calendar will be a mess. Harry will be in Eden Prairie, Becca in Minnetonka, and Bella in Chaska for part of the day. 3 different Spring Breaks, yeah!

On Monday, Becca will leave on an 8th grade class trip to Chicago. They are taking the train and will be gone all week. I'm sure she will have fun, but having her leave and dealing with all of this high school stuff is making me reflect on the fact that we don't have our kids as kids very long at all. They can't always be "under our umbrella" of protection. We can just hope and pray that we do the best to teach them how to protect themselves out in the world when the time comes for them to go.

1 comment:

  1. Your first paragraph explains why I'm glad to live in the South...

    ReplyDelete