Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Way We Were...

Is there any better way to appreciate the present, than to reflect on the past? Personally, I don't think so. I guess the kids have been feeling sentimental too as they have been digging into the big abyss of pictures in boxes on my closet floor. Sad that is where they have to go to find the old pictures. Either that or they can pop in a CD in the computer and scroll. Scrapbooking is just not my thing. I have tried, it's just not something I enjoy. I'd rather clean my house than scrapbook and for those of you who know me well, that is a very sad statement...

Here's some of the pictures of the past we have been reviewing.









The past has been on my mind quite a bit lately. Perhaps it is due to my newest obsession, "Mad Men".  I am so happy the series is on Netflix now. I love looking at how people lived in the 60's. The creators of the series are so clever to always put in things in episodes that they know will make people of today say, "Can you believe they did that"? Whether it is children playing in plastic bags and the parents getting mad that they put the dry cleaning on the floor (instead of potential asphyxiation), or having a picnic in a park and cleaning up by folding up the blanket and leaving all the trash on the grass, most episodes leave a feeling at disbelief in how attitudes have changed in the past 40 years.

School starts again Tuesday for Becca and Bella. Harry's school is under construction so he gets an extra 4 days off. Looking at all of the old pictures really puts it in perspective about how fast things change. It seems like just yesterday I was putting Becca on the bus for kindergarten. Now ten years later, she is getting her permit and heading off to be a sophomore at high-school. Yesterday, I was cleaning out Harry's closet and I found all of Harry's old football jerseys. Seems like just yesterday he was in 3rd grade, learning the rules of the game. Now, he is a 5 year veteran, headed into 7th grade with a much deeper voice. And Bella. Oh the baby of the family...Do they really ever grow up? I have long joked that we won't be celebrating any more birthdays for her since I can't handle her being older than nine. And yet, it's not really my choice, is it? Life goes on and changes whether we want it to or not. Regardless of my desires to keep Bella eternally a child, she is entering 4th grade and developing a pre teen attitude. Great... two teens and a preteen, I can hardly wait.

Hey 2011-2012 school year, ready or not, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment