Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I Will Survive...

To quote the great Charles Dickens, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." And so describes the school year 2010-2011.  As I had predicted back in September, it was a time of transition and a huge learning curve for Becca and Harry as they entered new schools with greater expectations than they had faced in the past. I feel that as the year went on, they both began to "get the hang of it" and started to produce better academic results. They both enjoy being challenged, but learning how to accept the challenges took a bit longer than anticipated.

So now I have a sophomore, a 7th grader and a 4th grader. The sophomore is starting driver's ed (Lord help me!!!), the 7th grader is in Costa Rica for three weeks (with his grandparents) and the 4th grader is asking me why her life is sooo boring. Looks like it will be a long summer!

Truth be told, I really enjoy summer. At least for the first month. In MN the summers fly by as we fit in as many barbecues and pool outings as we can before the snow comes back. Don't laugh! It may sound funny to talk about snow in June, but in MN, it is nothing. Actually, the last bit of snow just melted in Minneapolis last week from all the huge snow piles this past winter. And that was with two days over 100 degrees. What a bizarre state I live in...

So what do two parents do to celebrate the end of the school year? Go out without the kids, of course! I mean seriously, I have 12 full weeks with those charming individuals. Mama needed a night out on the town as "prep time". And so Erick and I went out Saturday on a river paddle boat ride on the St. Croix after an afternoon spent in Stillwater.






 It was so amazing to get away. I know I am a better parent with a little time away for perspective (and adult sanity). We were going to just walk around and then grab a bite to eat but at the last minute we saw the paddle-boats and went to ask when they were leaving. We just made the dinner cruise and I think that because it was "spur of the moment" it was that much more fun. Seriously, we NEVER do anything that is unplanned. My father in law laughed when I told him that I use my GPS to calculate when I will arrive places so I know if I am on schedule. Sad, but true...

And so the summer rules have been set. Some of my decisions are not popular. Bella will continue her math program in an effort to finish 3rd grade math. Becca will be able to hang out with her friends, but not on the daily, every minute time schedule she would prefer. Her summer work will include assigned school books and SAT prep. Parenting is tough and sometime we do know what is best for them. There will also be plenty of fun including an upcoming trip to Chicago and one to the cabin. Better move quick before that lowly pile of snow comes back with lots of reinforcements...

No comments:

Post a Comment