Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Be Prepared...




I must preface this post by saying that I am an emotional person. I cry at Extreme Home Makeover, Hallmark commercials, and sappy Lifetime movies. That being said, I wasn't prepared for being emotional last night as Harry bridged from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts. I mean after all, Boy Scouts is far from being sappy. And yet, when the lights went down and they started to beat the drum in the "Arrow of Light" ceremony, the tears started to stream from my eyes. It was very official and ceremonial. Real arrows were handed to the boys and then plaques were given to them by their leaders as a gift so they could mount their new arrows. I was super glad about the plaque because I was unsure what we would do with the arrow. An arrow in Harry's room without a purpose could lead to bodily harm.

After the "Arrow of Light" ceremony, the boys had to walk across a wooden bridge to symbolize their move on to Boy Scouts. I had to walk on the bridge with Harry and halfway across, I had to take off his cub scout neck scarf, while two boy scouts stood on either side of him and put on his new boyscout shoulder tags (I'm sure there is an official term for these, but I'm not sure what it is). Erick had to travel at the last minute to Boston, so I was left to handle this emotional moment on my own. Becca was not feeling well, so Bella was left to take pictures of the event. She was so cute with the huge camera, trying her best to capture memories. I have included one of her pictures and I will leave it to you to figure out which one she took.
After it was all said and done, all I could think was there is no way I'm making it through high school graduations.

No comments:

Post a Comment